Join our team of affordable housing professionals who assist low income Philadelphians secure the housing of their choice. We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated individual to oversee and direct our Housing Choice Voucher Services including Owner Services, Inspections, Eligibility and Leasing in our tenant based voucher programs.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President of Leased Housing, the Director – Housing Choice Voucher Services will be responsible for Owner Services, Inspections, Eligibility and Leasing functions/departments for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program according to HUD guidelines. Where eligibility and leasing functions are concerned, responsibilities are related to HCV/tenant-based vouchers. The Director leads of team of professionals including an Owner Services Supervisor, who oversees rent negotiation and owner recruitment and communication activities; an Inspections Supervisor, responsible for supervising the Building Inspectors and inspection related reporting, an Eligibility Supervisor, responsible for all tenant-based eligibility and leasing activities and an Owner Liaison, responsible for owner communications and transaction processing issues related to leasing and rent determination.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, assigns and reviews the activities associated with determining applicant eligibility for HCV assistance, new client leasing and moves within the tenant-based HCV program
- Plans, assigns and reviews the activities associated with owner services and inspections
- Receives and responds to inquiries and complaints from participating families, landlords/owners, or other sources regarding the department’s activities; ensures excellence in customer service; prepares written responses
- Oversees staff activity to ensure that work and assigned task(s) are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, performance goals and departmental objectives
- Drafts letters, memoranda, and internal reports to respond to a variety of technical questions concerning the federal and local processes and compliance with regulations that relate to housing management
- Researches, identifies and analyzes voucher utilization data and develops and initiates actions in response to identified issues
- Participates in the development of new plans and procedures designed to improve operations and in implementing approved policies
- Directs and coordinates operations, and assures compliance with Commonwealth, Federal, and HUD contracting and operational regulations, interpreting and applying Commonwealth and Federal housing rules and regulations
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, social work, or a related field; at least five (5) years’ experience administering a Public Housing, Housing choice Voucher/Section 8, or other publicly funded housing programs, including at least three (3) years at a supervisory level; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience; knowledge of HUD Regulations; Standard Operating Procedures, other Federal, State and local laws, rules and regulations related to low income housing, Federal and Commonwealth housing authority regulations and reporting requirements, including Code of Federal Regulations, and Department of Housing and Urban Development; Methods, procedures, and standards for HCV record keeping and records management; experience supervising developing and mentoring staff are required
Certifications, Licenses Required
- Possession of a valid Driver’s License is required.
- Within the first year of tenure in the position, must pass the Management Certification, HCV Specialist Certification, EIV Security/User Training Certification exams (training and test at the Philadelphia Housing Authority’s expense).