Opportunity Communities Seeks CEO
About Opportunity Communities
Founded in 2018, Opportunity Communities (“OppCo”) strengthens the capacity, efficiency, and performance of independent local community developers that join OppCo as organizational members. Community development organizations concentrate on neighborhoods and communities that are led by and benefit local residents, ensuring that programs respond to community needs. However, this local focus limits their ability to achieve organizational scale that contributes to efficiency and high capacity. The OppCo model solves this problem by allowing member organizations to retain local focus and control of resources and assets, while enabling them to benefit from the efficiency and effectiveness of a larger-scale entity. OppCo provides comprehensive back-office services, including financial management, human resources, data and evaluation, fundraising, and asset management, as well as expertise in real estate development and resident services.
- More cost-efficient administration and programming – Shared back-office services and affordable housing-related programing, combined with a wealth of knowledge on best practices in community development, helps keep individual members’ costs down and results high.
- High-capacity financial management – A finance team delivers financial analysis and advice for managing assets and investments and implements uniform internal controls, reporting, and policies and procedures.
- Full-service human resources – help members navigate a constantly changing work world to remain an employer-of-choice.
- Sustained local control while benefiting from scale – Members continue working with local residents, businesses, and municipalities while enjoying increased technical capacity in real estate development and tenant services.
- Increased organizational sustainability – Investors and funders have high confidence in member ability to deliver results.
- Greater capacity for learning – A data & evaluation team fosters a culture of learning that drives program refinement and provides members with proven methods for gathering and analyzing data directly from the community.
- Robust asset management – ensures members’ portfolios remain vibrant assets for the community over the long term while providing important cash flow for operations.
- Deeper real estate and program outcomes – Access to in-house expertise to help members diversify pipelines and to expand the range and scale of real estate deals, from acquisition and rehab to homeownership and commercial development.
Currently operating as a hybrid organization, OppCo has a staff of 21 and an annual operating budget of approximately $3,600,000. In addition, OppCo provides services to its member organizations who collectively employ approximately 91 staff members, have annual operating budgets of $20 million, and assets of over $384 million. OppCo is organized as a 501c(3) Limited Liability Corporation; essentially a joint venture of its members. OppCo is overseen by a Board of Managers comprised of representatives from each member’s board as well as several independent board members. Since its creation, OppCo has been led by its founding CEO, Ann Houston, who will retire from her position effective December 31, 2022.
Opportunity Going Forward
The CEO will have the opportunity to lead a dynamic, creative, and growing organization which is implementing a unique membership model designed to expand the capacity of small- to medium-sized community and economic development corporations. In addition to effectively and efficiently managing all operations of this entrepreneurial organization, high priorities for the CEO include:
- Developing and implementing a targeted strategic growth plan to expand OppCo’s membership over the next five years as well as a developing a comprehensive suite of marketing materials that promote OppCo’s credibility, increase its name recognition, and market the value-add of OppCo membership.
- Continuously capturing learnings from ongoing operations to remain relevant to members, refine back office and program services, inform future expansion, streamline onboarding practices, alter the program model, and adjust the organizational structure to provide best practices and optimize service delivery.
- Networking with community developers and the broader housing and community development sector to expand awareness of OppCo, promote its value, and engage prospective members.
- Ensuring that OppCo is viewed as a premier service provider, one which delivers to members direct and informed guidance and best practices without comprising members’ independence and decision making.
- Championing REDI (race, equity, diversity, and inclusion) work in all organizational policies, practices, and engagements with staff, members, and the communities served by OppCo members.
- Leading, empowering, and mentoring a collaborative team of highly skilled, experienced mission-driven professionals enthusiastic and passionate about its members’ and OppCo’s mission.
- Improving communications internally as well as with/between members to share best practices and support collaboration.
- Staying abreast of and securing philanthropic funds to support programming by OppCo and its members.
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
- A minimum of seven years of senior leadership, or equivalent experience, preferably at an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and/or growth organization.
- Knowledge of and passion for community development, real estate, economic development and/or community engagement/building, and advocacy.
- Prior experience serving communities similar to those served by OppCo’s members.
Skills and Qualities:
Strategic Systems Builder and Implementer
- Systems builder who can efficiently and effectively implement a comprehensive vision.
- Organization developer who can provide strategic direction and right size an operation to manage and support growth.
- Able to transition an organization from start-up to maturity.
- Confidence to suggest and implement alterations to an original vision/concept to achieve maximum results.
- Tactical skills with the ability to ask the right questions and resolve issues when alignment is not readily apparent.
Experienced Business Leader with Customer Service Orientation
- Broad-based business knowledge and experience, particularly with complex organizations, along with sophisticated financial expertise and a deep understanding of programs.
- Ability to inform the delivery of consultative services to a diverse set of members with individualized expectations.
- Able to oversee a centralized support organization that balances centralization/standardization with member autonomy/authority.
- Multitasker and problem solver with a diverse skill set; someone who is nimble, flexible, able to balance competing interests, and who sees complexity as a challenge rather than a barrier.
- Possess a customer service mentality with an appreciation for member independence.
Compelling Communicator and Determined Networker
- Compelling and charismatic leader with strong interpersonal skills who can effectively communicate OppCo’s vision.
- Community connector and networker who understands the communities served and who is able to build mutually beneficial relationships.
- Advocate for the sector and members who is comfortable engaging with political leaders, community members, and others.
- Willing to listen, reflect, learn, and adjust positions to support communities and members.
- Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing.
Engaged Leader of People and Culture
- People person with strong social and emotional intelligence, equally able to engage with staff at OppCo and member organizations and with the community.
- Team builder and motivator who creates an affirming, humanistic, and inclusive workplace and has the cultural competency required to engage with diverse groups.
- Respectful and sensitive leader well-versed in issues of equity who proactively champions diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- Experienced at hiring, onboarding, and developing professional staff as well as effectively managing in a hybrid work environment.
- Possess a strong moral compass and model OppCo’s core values.
Marketer and Fundraiser
- Highly credible representative to the CDC community with the ability to market and sell OppCo to new members.
- Able to recruit and secure the engagement of prospective members.
- Relationship builder who can create philanthropic connections and raise dollars on behalf of OppCo and its members.
- Awareness of funding prospects with the ability to position OppCo to capitalize on funding opportunities.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position with a starting salary range of $175,000 to $200,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications. OppCo also offers a comprehensive and generous benefits package.
Application Process and Additional Information
OppCo views diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence as vital guiding principles in all our work with clients and communities. We welcome and encourage applications from visible minority group members, Indigenous persons, members of the LGBTQ community, persons with disabilities and others who may contribute to the diversity of the organization and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
Candidate must include a resume and a cover letter that describes how your qualifications and experience match the needs and mission of OppCo. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Upload required documents to: https://eostransitions.applicantpool.com/jobs/.
This executive search is being conducted by Eos Transition Partners consultant, John Tarvin. All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential, and any questions can be submitted to John at: firstname.lastname@example.org.