On March 31, 1962—his own birthday—Cesar Chavez launched the farmworker movement with the National Farm Workers Association. He had a bold vision for a strong farmworkers’ union as well as services that would support that union by building communities up beyond the workplace. Cesar Chavez knew it would take an entire movement to empower his community to overcome the burdens of poverty, discrimination, and powerlessness.
He started by creating a death benefit, a credit union and a cooperative gas station. These early efforts quickly grew, and the National Farm Workers Service Center was introduced in 1966 to build affordable housing for the elderly and displaced Filipino-American farmworkers. Cesar Chavez also established two educational-style Spanish-language radio stations, which have now grown into 11 stations.
Today, the National Farm Workers Service Center has become the Cesar Chavez Foundation, which continues to expand on Cesar’s early work and vision to create a movement to improve the quality of life for Latinos and working people. Cesar Chavez’s vision was ambitious, and a half a century later, the lasting and ongoing effects of his work have transcended even his original aim.
Under the direction of the Property Manager, assists in the day to day operations of a 104 unit multi-family apartment community by performing the following duties. In absence of Property Manager may perform the following duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Knowledge and application of HUD Section 8 and LIHTC Regulations
- Conducts interviews with residents to update program eligibility.
- Experienced in conducting annual and periodic resident program compliance Recertifications consistent with HUD and LIHTC regulations and guidelines.
- Helps prepares lease or rental agreements and collects specified rents and impounds.
- Experienced collecting and posting rents and other charges electronically,
- Experienced in taking and following up on Requests Maintenance Services over the phone or in person, tracking and monitoring maintenance costs for Community.
- Works with Property Manager to plan for and arrange for alterations to, or maintenance, upkeep, or reconditioning of property as appropriate.
- Assists Property Manager on daily operations, site staff and vendors.
- Under direction purchases supplies and equipment for use on property.
- Assists Property Manager in the preparation and distribution of Delinquent rent notices.
- Under direction, prepares periodic inventory of building contents and property condition, and forward listing to supervisor for review.
- Assists Property Manager in preparing vacancy, occupancy, traffic, reports and turnover schedules, etc. for internal use and external agency compliance.
- Contacts utility companies to arrange for transfer of service for tenants.
- Under direction, coordinates move-in & move-out inspections, and documents.
- As directed, inspects community site, grounds, vacant units, etc. on a daily basis.
- Assists with eviction of tenants in compliance with court order and directions from supervisor.
- Responds to emergency calls and situations as required.
- Under direction, communicates and interacts with residents individually or in a group as necessary.
- May be asked to occasionally assist at other CCF Communities.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- 2-3 years minimum Property Management experience.
- A good knowledge and understanding of Low Income Housing Tax Credit and/or HUD Section 8 Programs, Regulations and Policies.
- Experience with Yardi Voyager, Onesite, or comparable bookkeeping and compliance
Software programs are a big plus.
- Experienced supervising staff at site level.
- A good understanding of Property Management operations and procedures including the importance of income and expenses of the Community.