A healthy community begins at home. REACH provides quality affordable housing and opportunities for individuals, families, and communities to thrive.
Title: Security Monitor Department: Property Management
FLSA Status: Non-exempt Reports to: Property Manager
Salary Range: Rent-free apartment, $12.31-$16.00 for hours spent beyond value of apartment.
Effective: March 2018
Monday, Thursday, Friday: 6:00 PM to 3:30 AM
Saturday/Sunday:5:00 PM to 1:30 AM
REACH is an equal opportunity employer that strives to create a diverse workforce
and an inclusive culture.
This organization believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Security and emergency after- hours support when management is not on duty.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
Security Duties (28 hours)
- Nights and weekend security monitor desk.
- Trespassing non-residents as needed.
- Monitors building security cameras
- Secures and locks doors and windows to secure building at night (where common halls and entries exist).
- Ensures alarm system is engaged and operational, if applicable.
- Monitors the security and integrity of building, grounds.
- Acts as Fire/Life Safety Director in the absence of the Manager; responds to emergency situations such as medical, police, fire emergencies, and takes appropriate action including contact emergency services (911), evacuating building, etc, if needed.
- Completes Building rounds twice daily to ensure building security
Monitor Duties (12 hours)
- Ensures building exterior grounds are free of debris, leaves etc.
- Clear sidewalks of ice and snow as needed.
- Ensures all paper product dispensers are filled in common areas restrooms.
- Responds to lock-outs, emergency maintenance situations, per established lock out and on-call guidelines.
- Attends quarterly Monitor and other staff trainings when needed
- Meets with supervisor weekly
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Operates from established and well-known procedures.
- Decisions are made within established organization guidelines.
- Performs duties independently, but guidance and direction are available for unusual or critical situations.
- Position involves a low degree of complexity in dealing with recurring work situations with occasional variations from the norm.
- Carries company issued cell phone and responds to after hours’ calls per established On-Call procedures.
- Errors may result in loss or damage to property, breaches in building security, or injury to residents.
REACH employees are expected and required to behave in a professional and courteous manner in doing REACH business and dealing with other staff, residents, and all contacts inside and outside the organization. Profanity, derogatory and abusive language is specifically forbidden.
Specific Job Skills:
- Ability to read and speak English
- Ability to write reports
- Basic writing skills
- Good organizational skills (ability to prioritize duties, keep orderly supplies when applicable.)
- Working knowledge of smartphone technology including phone calls, text, email and calendar.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all types of people, remain calm during pressure situations and take action and/or make decisions.
- Ability to deal with angry or distraught people.
Position is not supervisory in nature.
Education and/or Experience:
- Security monitoring experience preferred.
- No specific educational requirements.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires evening, weekend and holiday work. The Building Monitor must reside in the building they are assigned to work at. Regular attendance is required in accordance with a regular work schedule established for the position by the supervisor. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and/or walk for long periods of time. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and reach with hands and arms; and readily and effectively communicate. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include ability to effectively see within an office environment, which may include long term computer exposure, and to adjust focus accordingly.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time-to-time, as needed.
The company reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description in any way the company desires. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship is “At-Will”. The aforementioned job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals.