Community Engagement Coordinator
Position Summary: The Community Engagement Coordinator (CEC) enriches the community atmosphere within at SAHA’s communities and builds connections between our residents and their surrounding neighborhoods through planning, implementing, and overseeing various resident activities and public events. Activities must reflect and celebrate the diversity of our housing communities and neighborhoods, with special attention to the needs of seniors, families, people with physical and mental health disabilities, non-English speakers, and other target populations.
Location: This position will work at SAHA’s Main Office in Berkeley.
Compensation: The pay range for this position begins at $24.04 hourly. Starting pay rates depend on candidate experience, skill, comparisons to current staff, and the needs of the specific position hired for.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- In collaboration with site staff, residents, and neighbors, determine the current needs of the site and neighborhood in regards to activities and feasibility of proposed programs and initiatives.
- Coordinate and execute on-going and pilot programs, including but not limited to community gardening efforts, health and wellness partnerships, intergenerational program offerings, annual service and community events, supporting SAHA’s volunteer program and other activities.
- Maintain frequent contact with site staff, community partners and residents about program participation and efficacy.
- Work in conjunction with site staff regarding venue use and implementation of activities.
- Provide logistical support for Community Engagement activities such as neighborhood outreach, social media efforts, grant applications, and stakeholder group meetings.
- Assist in organizing and hosting one-time events like SAHA Senior Field Day, Thanksgiving, and the annual backpack drive.
- Utilize culturally competent model in each project geared to inclusivity of all participants regardless of language or cognitive/functional capabilities.
- Plan activities with goal of providing maximum physical and emotional wellness of the population served.
- Monitor and document attendance and satisfaction with offered programs and activities.
- Budget for and purchase supplies for all activities. Reconcile all purchases against established budget.
- Any additional duties assigned by supervisor.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, related field or equivalent experience preferred;
- Related experience in affordable housing, event planning, community organizing, or social services preferred.
- May direct volunteers or other staff members who are assisting in an activity, but does not supervise any staff or volunteers on an ongoing full-time basis.
Abilities and Attributes
- Must have the ability to maintain professional boundaries, including exercising objectivity and confidentiality, while building trusting relationships with residents and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication required. Additionally, ability to speak other languages such as Cantonese, Mandarin, Farsi, Russian or Spanish is a plus.
- Must have excellent customer service, negotiation and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, including ability to easily navigate the internet, use Outlook, create Word and Excel documents, and work with a web‐based database.
- Must be familiar with community resources or have the ability to acquire those resources and become familiar.
- Must be sensitive to the needs and concerns of residents and their families.
- Must have experience and ability to work positively within a multi‐cultural team environment.
- Must be able to exercise good judgment and common sense, based on analysis, evaluation, and risk assessment in determining what to handle without help, and when to ask for guidance or help in prioritizing from supervisor.
- Must have creativity and an ability to adjust to change.
- Must have community networking skills, knowledge of civic engagement and intergenerational and activities programming a plus.
- Must have basic math abilities with the ability to manage a budget.
Certificates & Licenses
Valid driver’s license and good driving record, along with proof of automobile insurance required. A DMV check will be performed.
*Satellite Affordable Housing Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer*