The Construction Asset Manager (CAM) will be primarily responsible for planning and executing apartment capital projects and renovations throughout the United States working closely with Project Management and Asset Management. Duties will include but not limited to evaluating physical asset conditions, assessment of rehabilitation scopes, develop and overseeing execution of capital expenditures, renovation plans, provide direction to 3rd party management companies, general contractors/vendors ensuring the success of the capital projects, assisting with the review of annual budgets and quarterly financials (related to expense and capital plans), and additional ad hoc investment analysis and construction asset management as needed.
The ideal candidate will have a broad knowledge of apartment construction and operations/maintenance standards, along with an understanding of HUD REAC and Physical Uniform Condition Standards.
• Apply a practical knowledge of construction techniques and specifications to the analysis of existing housing or housing proposed for rehabilitation.
• Prepare, track and report annual capital budgets for a stabilized portfolio of apartment communities to be implemented by the management companies.
• Perform MOCK-REAC inspections at apartment communities to ensure that communities are ready for imminent inspections. Review the findings and supervise the completion of any associated corrective work.
• Prepare and maintain capital specifications standards for a broad range of apartment communities.
• Supervise the CapEx improvement, including collecting, reviewing vendor proposals and contracts, change orders, workmanship quality control and final acceptance of completed work.
• Complete “Special Projects” assignments that are communicated to the CAM by other team leaders
• Participate in portfolio review discussion within the department, stakeholders or management company.
• Provide input into development schedule from acquisition through stabilization
• Understand typical GC/CM contract terms and can assist in major contract negotiations
• Coordination of project close-out, warranty work, and transition to asset management
• Strong team player that can work collaboratively in a fast pace team with a roll up your sleeves and pitch in where needed attitude.
• Highly accountable, able to take ownership, meet deadlines and have strong follow up skills.
• Self-starter detailed and independent thinker.
• Able to manage up and provide senior management with quantitative progress reports.
• Strong Microsoft Office suite, and recognize that detail-oriented tasks are critical to a business’ long-term success.
• Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
• Up to 50% travel time might be required
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred, emphasis on engineering, architecture or construction management. At least 5 years of experience in real estate, focused on construction, architecture, renovations, engineering, asset management or related discipline. Hands on construction preferred
• Or, comparable experience.