Director of Investor Relations
National Affordable Housing Trust
Reports to: SVP, Director of Originations & Capital Markets
Exempt Classification: Exempt
Status: Regular, Full-Time
National Affordable Housing Trust (NAHT) is a non-profit low income housing tax credit syndicator dedicated to help create and preserve homes for those in need.
Summary of Position
NAHT provides equity through syndication to third party investors for affordable housing real estate transactions that utilize Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) as a form of financing. The Director of Capital Markets is responsible for leading NAHT investment efforts and providing relationship management to NAHT’s investor clients / partners. The purpose of this position is to solicit corporations, banks and foundations, develop investment vehicles and strategies, and oversee the securing of capital for investments in multi-family housing qualifying for LIHTC. This position will present investment opportunities to existing clients and source new corporate investor clients.
The Director of Investor Relations will need to be able to communicate effectively with NAHT Management, Investors, and others. Throughout all functions of this position, they will play a critical relationship management role between NAHT and its investors.
The Director of Investor Relations will be directly responsible for the following activities:
- Soliciting and securing investment clients to provide equity for low income housing tax credit projects from NAHT’s development partners / clients.
- Initiating contact with potential investors, soliciting and obtaining initial agreements to invest in specific projects in the NAHT pipeline.
- Managing the NAHT pipeline process ensuring all projects in the pipeline are matched with potential investors, then moving the projects through the investor process to get firm approval.
- Serving as primary point of contact for investors with questions or project issues and driving to resolution.
- Establishing and enhancing relationships with investors and assessing investor satisfaction levels, recognizing additional needs and identifying new business opportunities.
- Assuring the sale of tax credit equity investments to institutional investors are in line with current market terms for syndication.
- Overseeing the evaluation, structure and negotiation of terms for new tax credit sponsored tax credit funds.
- Participating in the evaluation, structure and negotiation of terms for new tax credit acquisitions which will be secured by NAHT sponsored tax credit funds.
- In conjunction with the Originations and Capital Markets team, evaluating potential project bids and resolving significant business points in connection with the negotiation of the Operating Partnership Agreement.
- Overseeing the investment funds and assuring regular reporting is provided to investment clients.
- Developing and implementing multi-investor tax credit investment fund strategy.
- Developing annual marketing plans to be used as a guide in marketing toward existing and prospective clients.
- In all actions, fostering a culture of strong relationship development and management both internally and with clients.
- Providing leadership, coaching, training and direction to new and current employees throughout NAHT.
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with organizations and agencies involved in the affordable housing industry. Representing NAHT to investor and developer clients and industry leaders.
- Providing additional support as needed for other departments such as Originations, Underwriting and Closing, Fund Management, and Accounting/Finance.
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures for the management of the syndication investment processes, to ensure quality investors and investment vehicles for providing equity for NAHT’s originations efforts and adherence to NAHT’s policies including approval requirements and information management.
- Maintaining current knowledge of the LIHTC program, housing and tax regulations, and the LIHTC syndication/consulting industry.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area of study such as business, real estate, city & regional planning, urban planning, or finance. Master or other post-graduate degree preferred.
- 10+ years’ experience with low income housing tax credit projects and investment funds, including a minimum of two years prior experience originating and managing opportunities from low income housing tax credit developers.
- Detailed understanding of the financial structure of tax credit transactions, including equity and debt (hard and soft sources), tax credit regulations impacting financial structures, regulations and practices regarding the qualification and delivery of tax credits. Ability to articulate development and tax credit issues and provide solutions in structuring of tax credit transactions.
- Excellent relationship management and business development skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team and adapt to change easily.
- Proficient in negotiating transactions, building and managing strong client relationships and building consensus around proposals and recommendations, both internally and with clients.
- Ability to be creative and think beyond the obvious solutions for financial investment strategies.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with third party professionals, particularly attorneys and accountants.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs and in particular Word and Excel.
- Excellent skills in prioritizing and managing multiple tasks requiring strong attention to detail.
Physical and Environmental Demands
Work will be conducted in an office environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee must have the ability to provide regular and dependable in-office attendance to support office interpersonal communication, face to face relationships and the collaborative nature of the position.
- Employees must also periodically deal with interruptions due to activity in the work area.
- Travel up to 50% to project and client locations as needed, including local travel and airline travel. Candidate must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to undertake overnight travel.
Forward cover letter and resume to:
Or Mail To:
National Affordable Housing Trust
Attention: Human Resources
2445 North Bank Drive, Suite 200
Columbus, OH 43220
This position description is intended to describe the type and level of work that will be performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities of a person so classified.
NAHT is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against anyone based on their protected class in any of its hiring, retention or advancement opportunities.