Salary: $84,697.60 – $142,833.60 annually
Type: Regular, Full Time, Full Benefits
Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Director oversees, directs, and participates in all activities related to the operations in Rental Assistance such as short term and long term planning, implementation of work standards, change management, project management, development and administration of departmental policies, procedures, goal, staffing and budget development, performance and service delivery. The Director provides administrative direction and oversight for the eligibility, leasing, occupancy, housing inspection, quality assurance, and other activities related to a wide variety of rental assistance programs. The Director provides highly responsible and complex professional assistance to the Senior Vice President of the Rental Assistance Division in a variety of administrative, coordinative, analytical, and liaison capacities. The Director participates in the development of new initiatives, programming and change management activities. The Director provides continuous support in managing a large staff through first line supervisors. Staff includes professional, administrative, technical, and clerical employees. Performs functions and has the designated authority of the Vice President of RAD in his/her absence.
Examples of Essential Job Functions:
- Assumes management responsibility for operations in Rental Assistance Program Department programs, services, and activities, including eligibility, waiting list, leasing, occupancy, housing inspection, quality assurance, project management and other activities for a wide variety of rental assistance and affordable housing programs to ensure full compliance with all applicable program and regulatory requirements, quality customer service delivery, and completion of processing and notification requirements.
- Participates in the development of goals, directs, and coordinates the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the department; identifies opportunities for improvement; directs the implementation of change and process improvement activities
- Manages and participates in the development and administration of the department’s annual budget; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; directs the monitoring of and approves expenditures; directs and implements adjustments as necessary.
- Conducts a variety of departmental organizational and operational studies and investigations; recommends modifications to programs, streamlining measures, policies and procedures as appropriate to Senior Vice President.
- Analyze all factors affecting program performance and work to develop organizational strategies to address changing conditions; works with staff to develop countermeasures and action plans to address operational issues and concerns.
- Evaluate and interpret HUD regulations and guidelines as they pertain to the administration of the Housing Choice Voucher Program; assure program activities are in compliance with all complex laws, and policies, and regulations.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and directs department personnel; evaluates and reviews work for acceptability and conformance with department standards, including program and project priorities; works with employees on performance issues; implements discipline and termination procedures; responds to staff questions and concerns.
- Directs the establishment of and monitors audit and quality control procedures to ensure cases of program violation or fraud are identified and resolved in accordance with funding source requirements.
- Represents the department to other Commission departments, elected officials, and outside agencies; explains and interprets departmental programs, policies, and activities; negotiates and resolves significant and controversial issues.
- Responds to difficult and sensitive public inquiries and complaints and assists with resolutions and alternative recommendations.
- Prepares, reviews, and presents staff reports, various management and information updates, and reports on special projects as assigned by the Senior Vice President.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- interpret, apply, and ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Budget development, contract administration, Commission-wide administrative practices, and general principles of risk management related to the functions of the assigned area.
- Develop and implement goals, projects, objectives, policies, procedures, work standards, and internal controls for the department and assigned program areas.
- Plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the work of management, supervisory, professional, and technical personnel; delegate authority and responsibility.
- Conduct complex research projects, evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare effective technical reports.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Administrative principles and practices, including goal setting, program development, implementation, and evaluation, and supervision of staff, either directly or through subordinate levels of supervision.
- Principles, practices, and procedures of Housing Choice Voucher including but not limited to case management, program eligibility, and recertification.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and Commission staff.
- Project management: ability to establish project timelines, assign responsibilities and facilitate the execution of large scale projects through the use of departmental and cross-departmental resources to achieve established metrics and goals.
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications.
- Housing Choice Voucher, affordable housing, case management or experience in related field.
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, public administration, or a related field and five (5) years of progressively responsible rental assistance, program management, or non-profit experience, including at least seven (7) years in a management capacity. Equivalent combinations of education, training, managerial experience in a large service oriented field and strong HCV program experience will be considered.
Licenses and Certifications:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s License by time of appointment.