The Director of Real Estate Development will be accountable for managing a team of individuals to ensure the success of assigned projects within defined parameters from initiation through pre-development and construction. This position will lead a team of staff to aide in the identification, evaluation, development and construction of new residential housing opportunities throughout Central Ohio.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage a team of Project Management staff to administer multiple capital budgets typically valued at a minimum of$10 million to $15 million per project; engage development teams, including architect, engineer, builder, attorney, etc.; assist as needed in the preparation and maintenance of project budgets as well as ensuring compliance with financing programs, including LIHTC and others.
- Monitor and assure timely completion of the investment and development within the established budget, schedule and required investment returns
- Create project work plans for Real Estate Development staff to maximize efficiencies and give department a clear understanding of roles and responsibilities as it relates to various projects.
- Work with Senior Vice President of Real Estate Development to identify, evaluate and secure new multifamily real estate development opportunities for new construction and renovation projects
- Successfully engage staff and stakeholders to secure support for zoning and related governmental entitlements necessary to the development of real estate projects.
- Deliver and/or engage staff to coordinate presentations, as needed, to local community groups, area commissions, and/or local government. Work with Senior Vice President of Real Estate Development to strategize and facilitate discussions with development team to achieve successful outcomes.
- Establish and maintain strong business relationships with governing agency personnel, external vendors/consultants, and executive leaders and project stakeholders
- Prepare Project Summaries to track and document project performance against goals, objectives, approved budgets, and approved timelines and communicate status effectively to executive team and project stakeholders
- Represent Homeport and coordinate with design, construction, asset management team and property management team to transition the project from construction to lease-up.
- Closely work with the finance team to source financing and equity capital from private/public lenders and investors. Active development of project pro formas.
- Remains current on industry standards, market conditions, construction material and build-out practices for energy efficiency, LEED certification, Green Building and other initiatives
- Provide leadership, mentoring, professional guidance, direction and supervision to other internal Project Management team members
- Bachelor’s Degree in architecture, business, finance, construction, urban planning; or any equivalent combination of education
- An MBA or MS in Real Estate or Finance is a plus and preferred.
- Five years of progressive experience in managing a team of individuals within the affordable housing real estate development industry
- Five to ten years of hands-on real estate experience, preferably with tax credit and other housing subsidy programs, including a series of accomplishments which indicate increased responsibility and demonstrated performance in a broad array of development experience including public finance and incentives, permitting, design, construction, and financing.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong Project Management Skills
- Advanced problem-solving skills and exceptional Analytical skills
- Demonstrated Leadership skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Possess strong core competency in at least one area such as law, architecture, finance, construction which should be complemented by additional skills in other areas of real estate practice.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong Relationship Management experience
- Advanced competency in Excel, Project and proficiency in all Microsoft office products.
Licensing and/or Certification Requirements:
- Professional certification in project management, construction, and/or green design is a plus.