Jane Place Neighborhood Sustainability Initiative
Title: Executive Director
Status: Full-time (Salaried, exempt)
Jane Place Neighborhood Sustainability Initiative (JPNSI) is a Community Land Trust (CLT) organization committed to advancing housing rights to create sustainable, democratic, and economically-just neighborhoods and communities in New Orleans. We believe that homes should be for people, not for profit and we work to advance development without displacement. We combat discriminatory housing practices and predatory development schemes by creating permanently affordable housing, advancing tenant rights, and upholding equity in housing policy and land use planning. JPNSI’s work is rooted in three core pillars: affordable housing development, advocacy, and community engagement.
JPNSI is seeking a highly motivated, passionate, and experienced leader with a commitment to progressive housing advocacy and organizing models, affordable housing development experience, and knowledge of the community land trust model, for the multifaceted role of Executive Director. The Executive Director, together with the Board, will provide vision and leadership for the organization’s work to model equitable, sustainable, and permanently affordable development while expanding the movement for housing justice and renter rights in New Orleans. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated a commitment to the values undergirding JPNSI’s work of community-driven development with a focus on low-income persons resisting displacement, including a strong anti-racist and intersectional lens.
Affordable Housing Development
Lead and manage the acquisition and development of affordable homes and other properties to be brought into JPNSI’s portfolio, including:
- Current development of nine properties owned or controlled by JPNSI into affordable rental homes, shared-equity homeownership units, community space, and/or organizational office space.
- Creation and execution of an acquisition and development plan for future projects.
Relationship Management & Strategic Planning
- Represent JPNSI’s mission and values in interactions with public officials, partner organizations, the media, JPNSI members, and the public at large.
- Build relationships with a broad array of stakeholders and partners, effectively navigating highly varied and sometimes competing perspectives.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop strategic direction and organizational governance strategies.
- Provide ongoing Board education related to housing issues.
- Lead and maintain a staff structure that is equitable and people-centered.
- Direct and strengthen staff members’ current work in advocacy, research, stewardship, and community engagement.
- Develop a long-term staffing plan and supervise, develop, recruit, hire and train staff as the organization grows.
Financial Management & Fundraising
- Prepare quarterly financial reports and an annual budget for Board approval and monitor activities to meet the budget.
- Assure compliance with fund restrictions, interest allocation, and finance policies.
- Maintain complete records of all financial activities.
- Support staff’s efforts to establish and maintain relationships with foundations and major donors.
- Work with staff and Board to initiate, develop, and implement fundraising strategies and coordinate fundraising events.
Desired Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated track record in originating, closing and delivering affordable housing development projects.
- Experience in developing, overseeing, and managing organizational operating budgets.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including an ability to communicate complex issues concisely in writing and in person. Ability to strategize messaging appropriate to diverse audiences and catalyze support and action.
- Ability to approach organizational growth with an entrepreneurial mindset, creatively building a community-based, radical housing organization and developing the business plan to sustain it.
- A commitment to developing a nuanced understanding of the affordable housing landscape in New Orleans, including the geographies of gentrification and displacement, current housing policy priorities at the national, state, and local level, and historic legacies of discrimination and resistance.
- At least 3 years of experience managing and motivating professional staff and volunteers and a desire to seek additional professional development in staff management.
- Demonstrated commitment to self-reflection, assessment, and adaptation.
Location and Compensation:
This position is based in New Orleans, LA. The salary range is $70,000 – $85,000, depending upon experience, skills, budget, and other qualifications. JPNSI offers an industry-competitive benefits package.
This is a unique position that a wide variety of individuals may be qualified for. The lower third of the salary range applies to candidates with less experience, the middle third applies to candidates who have more experience, and the upper third applies to candidates who are extremely qualified and have a demonstrated track record of success.
Interested parties should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Documents are due no later than 11/18/19. Please familiarize yourself with JPNSI’s work prior to applying by reviewing our website: www.jpnsi.org.
JPNSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women and non-binary people, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, and long-time Orleans Parish residents are encouraged to apply.