Housing Works believes that dignity begins with quality affordable housing.
We foster that dignity by providing award-winning, affordable homes and services that help people build a better future.
About Housing Works
Housing works is the local housing authority for Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson counties. We provide affordable housing, rental assistance and new beginnings for low – and moderate – income Central Oregonians.
We provide homes for people throughout Central Oregon. We offer quality, well-designed and professionally managed properties serving workforce, seniors, the disabled, veterans and farm workers. Our help with housing includes administering HUD’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program in Central Oregon and supporting people who wish to move beyond renting to home ownership.
We also provide programs that bring other essentials—savings accounts, scholarships, financial education, loans, after-school programs– within reach of anyone motivated to make changes for the better.
Housing Works was established in 1977. From its initial operations serving 125 families through the HUD Section 8 Program, we have expanded to serve the housing needs of 2000 lower income households. Since 1984, Housing Works has developed, owned and operated award-winning multifamily communities throughout the region with a current portfolio of 788 units. In 2011, EPIC Property Management LLC was created to ensure quality property management services linked to important resident services programs.
Housing Works seeks a seasoned executive leader who is passionate about housing and community development. Reporting to the Board of Commissioners, this individual will provide overall leadership of the organization and be responsible for developing and implementing its strategic direction. The Executive Director will manage senior staff members who operate the organization’s many programs and serve as the public face of the organization. The Executive Director will be entrepreneurial and mission driven. S/he will lead Housing Works into its “ideal future,” in which the organization is a leader across the region on issues related to affordable housing and a driver of collaborative action around community development strategies.
Housing Works has an annual operating budget of over $13 million and a staff of 17 with an additional 30 staff employed by Epic Property Management.
Housing Works is positioned for a healthy future and poised to continue its innovative and effective approach to our work. The organization is financially strong and has built an outstanding team of dedicated professionals to carry out this important work.
Based in beautiful Redmond, Oregon where you will find sunny skies, snow, mountains, shimmering rivers, alpine lakes and sagebrush plains. The region is a true outdoor playground – home to all the skiing, hiking, climbing, cycling, fishing, rafting, and golf of your dreams. And at the end of an adventurous day, you’ll find that culture, dining and the arts abound.
For more information https://housing-works.org/
Candidate Profile and Experience Requirements
Skills and Prior Experience
- Demonstrated executive leadership experience, preferably in development of affordable housing
- Knowledge of state and federal-assisted housing program law and regulations including interpretation, development, and implementation of policy directives and changes; program compliance; budgeting and finance requirements, etc. desirable.
- Knowledge of real estate development desirable.
- Experience in community development projects to include a thorough understanding of techniques for determining and developing local community needs and resources desirable.
- Strong preference for knowledge and familiarity with the issues, the language, and the mechanics of federal, state, and local funding for affordable housing, community development, homeless and anti-poverty services
- Experience leading and motivating staff, boards, and volunteers
- Strong public presence – articulate, optimistic and energetic – with the ability to motivate and inspire people at all levels. Excellent communications skills
Core Competencies and Personal Characteristics
- Integrity and Trust – Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; keeps confidences; admits mistakes. Adheres to effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values.
- Managing Vision and Purpose – Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; can inspire and motivate entire units or organizations; is future oriented.
- Entrepreneurial – Knows how businesses work; understands how to meet “bottom line” goals; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace. Is results oriented, innovative and understands how to manage risk.
- Interpersonal Skills – Relates well to all kinds of people – up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; creates a climate in which people want to do their best. Strong public presence – articulate, optimistic and energetic.
- Strategic Agility – Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Political Savvy and Organizational Agility – Can maneuver through complex political situations effectively; is sensitive to how people and organizations function; views politics as a necessary part of organizational life and works to adjust to that reality; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network.
- Diversity – Understands and embraces diversity in the community and the organization, and has a strong commitment to equity.
- Team Building – Has an eye for talent; hires the best people available. Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Directing Others – Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.