This position requires the ability to manage and motivate staff, the use of independent judgment, time management, and effective problem solving techniques, and necessitates considerable knowledge of affordable housing financing, development, and supportive services, as well as various program regulations and procedures. This position requires a highly organized, analytical, enthusiastic, and focused self-starter, with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and provide calm, steady and stable leadership to the Unit. The Housing Development Supervisor will also have the ability to develop a strong relationship of mutual trust and open communication with the Housing Development Manager to ensure that the Unit speaks in one voice to Commission/County staff and community stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assigns and supervises the work of professional staff engaged in the review and analysis of affordable housing proposals and the administration of complex multifamily and single family housing development projects; ensures completion of assignments by staff in a timely, thorough, and accurate manner.
- Provides training and guidance to Project Managers and Assistant Project Managers.
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for the Affordable Housing Program, creating an environment that promotes high performance, collaboration, and staff development.
- Supervises and ensures that standardized programmatic and financial materials are current for the development review process from application and predevelopment through permanent loan conversion and occupancy. These include loan and development agreements with ancillary documents, due diligence and underwriting criteria.
- May supervise the preparation and issuance of the Notice of Funding Availability.
- Under general direction, supervises the negotiation of loan and development agreements in compliance with Commission policies.
- Responsible for the review and analysis of applicable Federal, State and County regulations, legislation, and policies and engagement in intra-agency implementation.
- Provides support for County homelessness and affordable housing initiatives.
- Assists with the coordination and monitoring of the process of preparing the Unit’s annual budget, including the tracking of expenditures of funds.
- Prepares timely, complete, accurate and concise written technical documents, including the preparation of reports for Board deliberation and approval.
- Comprehensive understanding of public lending requirements, workflow, and timing in the administration of both local and federal funds, especially as it applies to the leveraging of other public funding sources.
- Expertise with rules, regulations, and practices governing affordable multi- and single-family housing development, acquisition/rehabilitation, and other housing-related activities.
- Financial analytical skills with an in-depth understanding of affordable multi- and single-family housing finance; various federal, state and local funding sources, including low-income tax credits and bond financing; experience with development and operating budgets; and the ability to negotiate with housing developers and investors.
- Knowledge of the issues and evolving best practices related to the development and operation of permanent supportive housing for homeless and special needs populations, including supportive services; property management; coordinated entry systems; and local, state and federal homeless programs.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills, including the preparation of reports, briefing papers, and correspondence.
- Excellent organizational, coordination, problem solving and time management skills, including planning and managing multiple projects.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles and organizational administration and management.
- Proven consultation, facilitation, liaison and negotiation skills with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience with complex affordable housing financing, with a solid knowledge of federal and state tax credits.
- Ability to be proactive and capable of resolving complex problems expeditiously.
- Interpersonal skills to provide leadership and effectively motivate others, and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with colleagues at all levels.
Minimum Selection Requirements
- Must have a four-year college or university degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, or a related field.
- Must have five (5) years of progressively responsible professional staff experience in affordable housing development and administration and some supervisory experience.
- Must have a high-level of proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Master’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Urban Planning, Real Estate Development, or a related field.
- Experience in affordable housing lending in the public sector.