SCHEDULE: 40 hours, Monday – Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m., or as otherwise agreed, weekends, nights and early mornings as needed.
The Housing Search and Stabilization Specialist will work within the Emergency Services portfolio to provide assertive outreach, engagement, enrollment and stabilization of eligible shelter guests into the Place Me Home Program. These Specialists will play an active role in producing positive housing outcomes reducing individual lengths of homelessness. Utilizing individual housing stability planning the Housing Search and Stabilization Specialist will provide housing search and stabilization services to program participants moving into permanent housing. The Housing Search and Stabilization Specialist housing placement goal is to quickly move participants from shelter into permanent housing and to aid participants in sustaining this housing. The Housing Search and Stabilization Specialist will provide office and community-based stabilization services once the individual is placed into housing as outlined by specific benchmarks set by funders and industry best practices. The Housing Search and Stabilization Specialist will have a case load to identify, engage, and house and an additional subset of guests to stabilize each year. At times these tasks may be done in conjunction with community partners. Through all stages of the program, the Housing Search and Stabilization Specialist will utilize progressive engagement; least amount of support needed to be successful. A key component of the work with guests is successfully connecting individuals to assets which increase income and mainstream benefits and supports which increases stability while in housing. The incumbent may need to accompany guests to apartment showings and lease signings in the community. The Housing Search and Stabilization Specialist will facilitate on-going communication between the guest, housing authorities, landlords and community programs and partners. The Housing Search and Stabilization Specialist will also help individuals learn skills that better help them to manage money and be good neighbors and tenants. Under the discretion of the PMH Director and the Housing Navigator, the HSSS will work with the Mobile Enrollments and Benefits Specialist and the PMH Clinician to identify clients who are receiving pre-tenancy support services to be enrolled in Community Support for People Experiencing Chronic Homelessness (CSPECH) Program.
HSSS will work from the following principles:
- Shelter is a temporary safety net, not a home.
- All people experiencing homelessness, regardless of their housing history and duration of homelessness, can achieve housing stability in permanent housing.
- Never warehouse or institutionalize our guests in our shelters
- Everyone is “housing ready.” Sobriety, compliance in treatment, or even a clean criminal history is not necessary to succeed in housing. Rather, homelessness programs and housing providers must be “consumer ready.”
- Leverage guests’ their strengths, assets, and connections to move quickly out of shelters and to any other housing
- Recognize the impact of violence and victimization on development and coping strategies
- Maximize guest choices and control over her/his recovery based in a relational collaboration
- Create an atmosphere that is respectful of the guests’ need for safety, respect, and acceptance
- Emphasize the guests’ strengths, highlighting adaptations over symptoms and resilience over pathology
- Minimize the possibilities of re-traumatization
- Strive to be culturally competent and to understand each person in the context of his or her life experiences and cultural background
- Solicit guest input and involve guests in designing and evaluating services
- Associates in a human services related field [can be substituted for High School diploma and at least three (3) years of equivalent experience in a social service setting]
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience in Housing search and Stabilization Services
- Minimum of one (1) year experience of experience in the following areas:
- Delivering services to a challenged population often struggling with addiction and untreated or under-treated mental health concerns
- Housing Search coordinator, property management, or real estate
- Providing direct care and/or active case management and referral services to homeless individuals
- Strong written communication and documentation skills
- Strong Computer proficiency – including familiarity with MS Word, Excel and the ability to learn and successfully use MIS & HMIS programs (ETO)
- Experience navigating systems of housing and care for homeless individuals
- Working knowledge of human services systems, housing subsidy programs and homeless referral networks
- Experience maintaining consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between several parties (i.e. tenant, landlord, referral source, collaborating agencies, debtors and creditors).
- Experience serving as an ongoing liaison between property managers and participants as well as between participants and program funders.
- Requires knowledge and belief in “Housing First” philosophy and strategies
- Ability to stand for moderate periods of time
- Ability to stretch, bend, lift and assist guests up and down stairs during difficult and/or emergency situations
- Ability to respond safely and quickly in case of emergency situations
- Ability to sit for moderate periods of time at a desk in an office while interacting with individuals and/or managing documentation
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more
- Ability to work on kind of weather
- Ability to perform an array of difficult tasks at the same time
- The temperament to work with guests with problems indicative of untreated emotional/physical health needs and active substance use/abuse/dependency behaviors
- Ability to work in intense emotionally charged situations
- Possesses strong organizational skills with ability to meet a demanding workload
- Detail oriented to complete requirements of files and contract compliance
- Creative Thinker
PAY: $20.00 PER HOUR
Apply at: https://www.pinestreetinn.org/aboutus/careers