SCHEDULE: Minimum of 40 hours, Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM. – 5:00 PM. This schedule requires flexibility due to program needs; early mornings, weekends, holidays and evenings may be required
The Housing Search Supervisor (HSS) will coordinate and oversee housing search services across the PSI Rapid Re-Housing continuum. This position will lead a team in identify housing units necessary to meet the housing needs of the Rapid Re-Housing system and will network across other PSI programs. . The Housing Search Supervisor will build relationships with brokers, landlords, government agencies, and property management companies to cultivate, develop and maintain all types of housing options in and outside Boston. A virtual clearing house of available properties inside and around Boston will be maintained so that homeless individuals can be quickly matched to appropriate properties. This position will assist in building out housing search system across PSI and across the RRH partnership, to include creating policies, and procedures and ensuring consistent standards for housing search efforts across the RRH partnership and all PSI RRH programs. The work will include developing written marketing materials and identifying other marketing strategies. This position will work within the RRH Partnership to ensure collaborative efforts are made to share housing search resources across the RRH continuum. The RHSS will work within a Housing First framework. The Housing Search Supervisor works in concert with Boston shelter triage teams and the housing placement systems to ensure coordination.
- BSW, BA or BS in a human services or related field or at least three (3) years of equivalent experience in a social service, housing, real estate or property management setting.
- A minimum of 2 years performing as a team leader or project leader or supervisor
- Valid Massachusetts Driver’s License and ability to meet PSI safe driving criteria
- Experience in Housing Search or related activities.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience delivering services in a social service, housing, real estate or property management setting.
- Strong computer and math skills – including familiarity with MS Word, Excel and the ability to learn and successfully use MIS & HMIS programs
- Practical experience in creating housing plans and individual service plans. Working Knowledge of Housing First and Rapid Rehousing
- Experience in housing search, negotiation, household budgeting, and housing/community referrals, case management and service planning
- Knowledge of the issues related to homelessness and housing
- Working knowledge of human services systems, housing subsidy programs and homeless referral networks
- Strong understanding of Fair Housing Law
- Ability to stand for moderate periods of time, stretch, bend, lift and assist guests up and down stairs during difficult and/or emergency situations.
- Ability to respond safely and quickly in case of emergency situations
- Ability to sit for moderate periods of time at a desk in an office while interacting with clients and/or managing documentation and completing data entry
- Must be able to drive a PSI vehicle for work use
- Excellent writing, documentation, math and computer skills
- Ability to assess clients and make appropriate referrals
- Ability to establish good working relationships with internal and external program staff
- Strong decision-making, leadership ability and communication skills
- Exceptional customer service
- Ability to perform an array of difficult tasks at the same time
- Patience in working with guests with untreated emotional and/or physical health needs and active substance use/abuse/dependency behaviors
- Ability to work in intense emotionally charged situations
- Ability to help provide critical incident de-briefing
- Ability to read and interpret leases and complex contract requirements