Maintenance Tech I
About SAHA: Satellite Affordable Housing Associates (SAHA) is a leader in the affordable housing industry and is driven by the fundamental belief that every person deserves a home. We take pride in providing quality affordable homes that empower people and strength neighborhoods. Our philosophy of embracing sustainability, initiative, financial responsibility and diversity makes us one of the preeminent affordable housing development/management providers and employers in the Bay Area. With a staff of over 170, we take pride in offering our employees work/life balance, opportunities for growth and development and an excellent benefit package including several plans with 100% employer paid, employee coverage.
Position Summary: The position is responsible for the daily repairs and general up keep of the surrounding areas of the property. The position performs a variety of building maintenance repair work, which may include janitorial work, throughout the building. The position may be assigned to 1 or more properties depending on size of the properties and geographic regions.
Location: We have multiple Maintenance Tech positions available in the East Bay and Contra Costa County.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains property or properties in an inspection ready state;
- Evaluates nature of problem from a work order request and performs maintenance or repair;
- Prepares unit turns which includes moving household appliances, painting and making the necessary repairs required for occupancy, may also assist in cleaning the unit;
- Monitors facility boilers, pumps, electric motors, fire sprinkler, and HVAC systems. Makes repairs or determines if use of vendor is necessary;
- Performs electrical troubleshooting and repair on building and unit systems;
- Performs repairs on all appliances such as stoves and hood ranges, refrigerators, electric and gas heaters, and garbage disposals;
- Performs plumbing replacement/repairs on water and sewer lines, drain pipes, toilets, faucets, and water heaters as needed;
- Performs maintenance/repairs on doors, locks, hinges, and makes keys;
- Performs basic carpentry such as installing drywall, cabinets, wood flooring, window panes, and minor dry rot replacement;
- Maintains and repairs flashings, roofs, drainage, and irrigation systems, walkways, stairs, stucco, parking surfaces, and similar building components;
- Notifies management concerning the need for major replacement, repairs or additions to the building and collects vendor bids when applicable;
- Works with property manager to implement a preventive maintenance schedule and coordinates larger projects as necessary;
- Inspects and reports on the work quality and performance of external vendors to the manager;
- Maintains supply and equipment inventories and replenishes as needed;
- Assists with maintaining exterior public areas, e.g., parking lot, grounds, etc., by removing debris, sweeping, and washing down sidewalks;
- May sweep, mop, scrub, dust, and vacuum hallways, stairs, office space, and other interior public areas. May also operate equipment necessary to strip and wax floors, and shampoo carpets;
- Serves as on call maintenance staff for assigned region according to schedule; (All maintenance staff are assigned two week shifts to cover emergencies at the assigned region overnight from 5pm to 6am.)
- Assists other SAHA properties in preparation for major inspections, other regulatory inspections, grand-openings, or when requested;
- Provides guidance, on site or remotely, to other Maintenance Technicians on routine maintenance or small projects;
- Works within various computer systems, including work order and email systems to manage communications tasks, and priorities;
- Other duties as assigned by management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High school degree or general education degree (GED) preferred with three years or more of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of building maintenance and repair, including the ability to paint well, repair and maintain electrical, roofing, plumbing and HVAC systems, as well as boilers, appliances, and drywall;
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used in building maintenance and how to use them safely and responsibly;
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English to successfully interact with tenants and other employees;
- Ability to type and use a computer. Must be able to use email, and learn our software systems;
- Must be able to handle daily responsibilities and projects with minimal direction;
- Must be reliable in attendance, quality and quantity of work;
- Must have the ability to safely operate equipment where necessary;
- Ability to determine causes of operating failures and apply general rules to specific problems to produce the solution;
- Ability to manage one’s own time and coordinate the priorities of work orders and other responsibilities in order to ensure timely competition of required duties;
- Ability to manage one’s own tasks and proactively communicate about those tasks with the necessary parties;
- Ability to communicate peer performance assessments when necessary;
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service. This includes assessment of tenant needs, and professionally explaining repairs and timelines to staff and residents;
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
Valid driver’s license, a good driving record, proof of automobile insurance and reliable means of transportation is required as this position will have to transport tools and/or materials. A DMV check will be performed.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified individuals may apply by visiting our SAHA Career Center, where you can view and apply for any of our current Maintenance Tech openings. First time users will need to register and create a profile (only takes 2 minutes). Once registered, you can sign in at any time to check your application status, view our latest job openings, and easily apply to additional or future openings. A Cover Letter and Resume is required for all applications.
*Satellite Affordable Housing Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer*
Advertisement is not inclusive of all responsibilities, skills, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with this position. See Job Description for complete description Please visit our website at https://www.sahahomes.org for more information.