Compensation: Up to $22 per hour
Benefits: Premiums for medical, dental and vision coverage fully paid by the employer for employee only coverage. Employee pays for dependent coverage.
Since 1976, Capitol Hill Housing has worked alongside the community to build and preserve housing affordable to working families and promote the qualities that make Seattle a vibrant and engaged city. Today, we provide secure, affordable homes to over 2,200 of our neighbors across the city while working to make our neighborhoods safer, healthier and more equitable through the Capitol Hill EcoDistrict. Learn more at capitolhillhousing.org.
Capitol Hill Housing is looking for an experienced Maintenance Technician to become vital part of our property management team. This position performs maintenance activities to protect the physical integrity of the structures and property. The Maintenance Technician is provided with a service van, tools, and travels to CHH properties. The technician performs repairs, inspections, troubleshooting, purchasing of parts and materials. This position ensures timely turnover of apartments and completes repair requests in a timely and thorough process. As part of the maintenance team the Maintenance Technician provides on-call service and responds to calls on a rotating schedule. This position takes an active role in the preventative maintenance for buildings, completing tasks and making recommendations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Travel to properties and suppliers as necessary to complete repairs
- Organize time efficiency, prioritize tasks, and handle interruptions
- Perform tasks in a self- directed manner with moderate to minimal supervision
- Troubleshoot issues, plan/schedule repairs, and communicate required actions
- Assure Safety Standards guidelines, codes, and regulations are used
- Operate within the provisions of Seattle and Washington State Landlord Tenant law, Fair Housing, and ADA
- Ensure timely turnover of vacant apartments
- Complete preventative maintenance tasks and make recommendations
- Accurately report all time, activities and supplies needed for repairs
- Coordinate with staff and residents of proper maintenance and repair of the buildings
- Maintain professional appearance and comply with prescribed uniform
- Ensure that all CHH equipment, tools, motor vehicles(s), etc. are in good working order
- Securely store, tools, equipment, parts, and materials in designated areas
- Ensure that all work areas are clean and safe at all times
- Respond to emergency maintenance pager calls per CHH policy
- Notify Maintenance Supervisor and/or Portfolio Manager of any unsafe or potentially unsafe or hazardous condition(s) immediately
- Take active role in your training and development needs
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2+ years’ experience working as an Apartment Maintenance Technician or in a related field
- Ability to perform at least one; plumbing, electrical, carpentry, wall repair and painting
- 1+ years prior experience working independently, on-call in property maintenance.
- Ability to safely operate hand and power tools and other generally accepted maintenance equipment
- Experience working independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to keep accurate records and perform basic mathematical computations
- Ability to follow instructions accurately and to problem solve effectively
- Ability to master tasks after a brief period of instruction
- Experience in successfully working with diverse populations
- Ability to provide on-call duty and respond to calls during all hours
- Excellent customer service skills
- Valid Washington State driver License, clean driving record, and insurable
- Ability to speak, read, and writes in standard business English
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to perform the following essential physical requirements: Constant – hearing or taking in auditory information, seeing or taking in visual information. Frequent- standing, moving over a variety of surfaces, driving, operating vehicle controls, exposure to whole body vibrations (as when driving), lifting and carrying up to 20 pounds, climbing stairs, reaching (from knees to shoulders), repetitive hand motion, handling/grasping, fine finger manipulation, talking. Occasional – sitting, lifting and carrying up to 40 pounds, pushing/pulling, climbing ladders, working at heights, bending at the waist, twisting at the waist, crouching, kneeling/squatting, reaching (below knees and above shoulders), repetitive arm motion, using foot controls, operating power tools (including upper body vibrations and excessive noise level). Seldom – crawling, lifting and carrying up to 60+ pounds.
- 1 + years hands on proven experience in plumbing repair and drain cleaning
- Appliance troubleshooting and repair experience
- Certificate of formal training in Building Maintenance or in related field(s)
- Training in lead based paint, asbestos, hazardous materials
- Experience providing roving maintenance in a service van
- Property management experience with Landlord Tenant laws, Fair Housing and HUD
Work site may have stairs and no elevator. Working with power tools, use of and exposure to cleaning chemicals, solvents and paint, and other possible hazardous materials, performing physical duties in physical isolation from other staff can be potential hazards of the job. There may be other hazards. Employees are expected to perform their work in such a manner as to eliminate or reduce any potential hazards to an acceptable level. Employees are also expected to report actual or potential hazards to management and the Safety Committee.
Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Capitol Hill Housing. Capitol Hill Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer; all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.