Position Summary: This position is responsible for the daily repairs, maintenance, and general up keep of one or more SAHA residential properties (depending on size and geographic region). This may include janitorial work throughout the building.
Location: This position will work at 3 SAHA properties in Berkeley: Ashby Lofts, Ashby Studios, and Ashby Apartments. Applicants are encouraged to visit SAHA’s website to learn more about these and all of SAHA’s properties.
Compensation: The approximate pay range for this position is $20 – $25 hourly. Starting pay rates depend on candidate experience, skill, and the needs/challenges of the specific position hired for.
Benefits/Perks: We are proud to offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package and work/life balance. Here are some of the highlights:
- Medical HMO- $10 copays. Free for employees, less than $60 / month for employees + children
- Dental HMO or PPO. Free for employees, less than $60 / month for employees + children
- Paid Time Off- 14 days in first year, 19 second year, 24 third year and beyond.
- Paid Holidays- at least 9 per year.
- Regular Schedule- M-F 8:30 – 5:00, weekends only during on call rotations.
- On Call Compensation- most Maintenance Techs work 4-6 on call rotations (2 weeks each) per year. The average earnings from on call overtime and stipends is $4,000 / year.
- Retirement- 401k plan with 4% employer match
- Life, AD&D, LTD Insurance- basic plan free for employees, option to purchase additional coverage, including for spouse or dependents
Primary Duties & Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains property or properties in an inspection ready state;
- Evaluates nature of problem from a work order request and performs maintenance or repair;
- Prepares unit turns which includes moving household appliances, painting and making the necessary repairs required for occupancy, may also assist in cleaning the unit;
- Monitors facility boilers, pumps, electric motors, fire sprinkler, and HVAC systems. Makes repairs or determines if use of vendor is necessary;
- Performs electrical troubleshooting and repair on building and unit systems;
- Performs repairs on all appliances such as stoves and hood ranges, refrigerators, electric and gas heaters, and garbage disposals;
- Performs plumbing replacement/repairs on water and sewer lines, drain pipes, toilets, faucets, and water heaters as needed;
- Performs maintenance/repairs on doors, locks, hinges, and makes keys;
- Performs basic carpentry such as installing drywall, cabinets, wood flooring, window panes, and minor dry rot replacement;
- Maintains and repairs flashings, roofs, drainage, and irrigation systems, walkways, stairs, stucco, parking surfaces, and similar building components;
- Notifies management concerning the need for major replacement, repairs or additions to the building and collects vendor bids when applicable;
- Works with property manager to implement a preventive maintenance schedule and coordinates larger projects as necessary;
- Inspects and reports on the work quality and performance of external vendors to the manager;
- Maintains supply and equipment inventories and replenishes as needed;
- Assists with maintaining exterior public areas, e.g., parking lot, grounds, etc., by removing debris, sweeping, and washing down sidewalks;
- May sweep, mop, scrub, dust, and vacuum hallways, stairs, office space, and other interior public areas. May also operate equipment necessary to strip and wax floors, and shampoo carpets;
- Serves as on call maintenance staff for assigned region according to schedule; (All maintenance staff are assigned two week shifts to cover emergencies at the assigned region overnight from 5pm to 6am.)
- Assists other SAHA properties in preparation for major inspections, other regulatory inspections, grand-openings, or when requested;
- Provides guidance, on site or remotely, to other Maintenance Technicians on routine maintenance or small projects;
- Works within various computer systems, including work order and email systems to manage communications tasks, and priorities;
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
High school degree or general education degree (GED) preferred with three years or more of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
Valid driver’s license, a good driving record, proof of automobile insurance and reliable means of transportation is required as this position will have to transport tools and/or materials. A DMV check will be performed.
Note- a pre-employment Physical Abilities Test (PAT) is required. This test will be paid for by SAHA and is intended to ensure candidates can meet the physical demands of the job. Additional information will be provided if you are offered the position.
- This job requires frequent, daily, use of hands and fingers to grasp, handle, and manipulate objects such as tools and controls, and requires ability to reach with hands and arms.
- Frequent, daily, standing and walking are required.
- Frequent, daily stooping, kneeling, squatting, and bending are required. Climbing stairs and ladders are also required (ladder up to six feet).
- Requires the ability to see, smell and hear.
- Must be able to push, pull, lift and or move object(s) that weigh up to 50 pounds.
*Satellite Affordable Housing Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer*