Community Development Corporation of Long Island (CDCLI) is a chartered member of NeighborWorks® and is committed to making dreams of long-term economic stability come true. CDCLI invests in the housing and economic aspirations of individuals and families by providing solutions that foster and maintain vibrant, equitable, and sustainable communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, CDCLI is a regional and national leader in new growth models, community development housing and lending. It is well positioned to support individuals and communities as well as to lead on a variety of innovative initiatives.
Its deep roots in the Long Island region, its solid financial footing, complemented by the dynamic leadership at the executive and board level, allow it to be the go-to entity comprehensively addressing community development and economic stability on Long Island.
The Managing Director (MD) is a unique opportunity for an outstanding executive to support the CEO and the Executive Leadership team in charting the course for new business development and new social enterprises by ensuring the standards of excellence in client needs assessment, retention, and delivery of services and products.
Reporting directly to the CEO, as a member of the Executive Leadership team, this executive team member will collaborate closely with the CEO and the Executive Leadership team on enterprise-wide strategic initiatives and empower CDCLI’s teams to optimize community impact. To support these outcomes, the MD will guide the high-performing team leads (5-7 individuals), assist them in continually strengthening and developing the capacity of each of their departments, and drive coordination amongst them. CDCLI’s key business lines fall within the following departments: Home Ownership, Home Improvement and Optimization, Real Estate Development, Rental Assistance, Resident Services and lending (CDCLI is a Community Development Financial Institution). Candidates will be considered from nonprofit, for-profit, real estate, and government professional backgrounds who have extensive experience in program development, management, operational systems, and customer experience. This individual should understand how to direct and align systems, processes, and objectives collaboratively while empowering individual initiative, accountability and leadership.
In addition to a portfolio focus, the MD will work in partnership with the CEO and Executive Leadership team to support enterprise-wide initiatives that advance CDCLI’s vision and amplify effectiveness of the organization’s entire program and operational ecosystem. In this capacity, the MD will work in close collaboration with Operations, Finance, Marketing, and Development to ensure all functions are aligned and are set up to effectively support the objectives of CDCLI. The MD will play an integral part in the implementation of systems that facilitate joint efforts across service teams and across the entire organization.
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization.
- Ensure consistency and coordination across all teams and seek out opportunities for cross-team collaboration.
- Partner with the CFO and VP, Marketing and Development to ensure the effective rollout and implementation of enterprise-wide systems including a CRM to achieve client management and customer service goals as well the implementation of processes to support the effective delivery of programs and services.
- Empower department leads and ensure each department lead meets the contract compliance requirements for that department including with all laws, rules, and regulations governing contract activities
- Advise on and in conjunction with CEO, approve department’s annual plans and budgets; evaluate and monitor program outcomes and budgets and support improvements as necessary.
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality services.
- Support and motivate the organization’s staff including the identification of professional development opportunities; managing performance in a fair and transparent manner; build upon culture of high standards and accountability; and, recruit and hire new staff.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- Support effective decision-making processes on the Executive Leadership team that will enable CDCLI to achieve its long- and short-term goals and objectives.
- Along with the CEO and members of the Executive Leadership team; identify, assess and analyze new business lines that align with CDCLI’s Sustainable Business Initiatives(SBI)
- Along with other members of the Executive Leadership team, represent CDCLI as appropriate with other stakeholders, partners, and funders.
Experience and Key Characteristics
The successful candidate will be an experienced, thoughtful, and inspiring manager with a passion for the mission of CDCLI and a track-record of successful program/business and operational leadership. This individual may have a background in nonprofit, for-profit, real estate, government and/or other related areas and will have proven experience in guiding and motivating diverse and high-performing staff to achieve ambitious goals.
Qualified candidates for the MD position will bring demonstrated experience in:
- Experience supervising and guiding high-caliber senior professionals who oversee a wide range of business lines and large teams.
- Executive level experience in strategic decision-making and operational management to support the CEO.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, delegate responsibilities, and allocate resources as appropriate to achieve results; a manager who knows how to build positive culture and maintain high standards.
- Ability to adapt and lead a team confidently through complex, evolving situations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to establish and sustain collaborative and productive relationships at multiple levels within the organization.
- Experience implementing and rolling out enterprise-wide systems including CRM technology.
- Financially astute manager who can support team leadership in building detailed budgets and work closely with finance and accounting in establishing strong controls and efficient reporting.
- An understanding and knowledge of affordable housing required. Subject matter expertise in the following areas preferred:
- Knowledge of financing and renovation of blighted houses to rent or sell
- Managing multiple funding streams, e.g. governmental, business, foundations
- Multi-family affordable housing experience (financing, community engagement, and local approvals)
- First time homebuyer training, foreclosure prevention, and financial education
- Sustainability/Energy efficiency program
DRG is a Talent Advisory Group. We serve nonprofit organizations that care for, inspire, and enrich the lives of people all over the world. Our team of talent advisors shares a commitment to the values that matter to our clients, bringing more than 30 years of experience to serving the nonprofit community.
Ami Abramson, Chief Strategy Officer
Jessica Hammerman, Talent and Search Consultant
To apply to this position please visit www.DRGsearch.com