Job Summary: The Real Estate & Planning Project Associate position requires experience in real estate development and planning in neighborhood districts, preferably urban core communities. The position requires an individual who can work independently or collaboratively and who has a strong understanding of community economic development and related social dynamics. The position will include the implementation of real estate development and related projects.
The position reports to the Hill CDC and is also directly responsible for providing capacity to Amani Christian CDC. Both agencies endeavor to save and rehabilitate buildings that are structurally worthy, as well as work to produce new residential and commercial construction. This individual will work collaboratively with staff, consultants, interns and others in the organization and community. This individual will have the ability to build on and further develop a strong foundation of planning, technical, strategic, and financial partners and unique strategic assets. Both agencies are currently the owners of a diverse real estate portfolio located within the Hill District of Pittsburgh, PA.
The position will:
• Facilitate meetings and perform project management;
• Implement real estate and economic development projects and strategies;
• Coordinate and support processes related to real estate development, urban planning and economic development;
• Perform pre-development coordination including site identification, site assembly, analysis and planning; perform acquisition and disposition of real property;
• Liaise with various local, State, and Federal agencies, coordinating projects with agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate (i.e. PHFA, URA, HUD, etc.);
• Understand the City permitting and inspection processes and guiding new businesses through them, working through any roadblocks;
• Coordinate the utilization of existing programs such as rehabilitation programs, existing state and federal funding sources and grant opportunities, administration procedures, political mechanisms, legal tools, etc., as appropriate to promote economic development;
• Facilitate project related tasks including but not limited to technical, financing, compliance, regulatory and governmental matters;
• Keep track of the Pittsburgh Bureau of Permits, Licenses, and Inspections issued lists of properties that are Condemned, or Under Contract for Demolition, as well as Pittsburgh’s Hill District Community Plans. Assessing feasibility of rehabbing those slated for destruction.
• Utilize an empowerment model of community and economic development such as informing, educating and engaging residents and stakeholders throughout the development process.
• Work in conjunction with federal/state/local representatives and agencies to identify new opportunities for financing projects.
• Analyze economic studies, financial statements, marketing studies, plans, specs, and bid documents.
• BS/BA in Finance, Real Estate, Project Management, Urban Planning or related field
• 5+ years of professional work experience in a related or transferable field
• Excellent research, computer and technology skills are required. MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint is essential. Access and other database experience is a plus. Ability to use design, visual mapping tools such as GIS, ARC, Google maps and other related tools is key. Market research experience is a plus.
• Development experience involving tax credits and public subsidy is desirable
• Experience in site assembly of publically owned and tax-delinquent properties
• Proficiency with financial modelling and ability to create a real estate development proforma
• Ability to contribute to website and social media content management
• Solid analytical and organizational skills and ability to multi-task
• Highly-developed verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Proactive thinking with detail-oriented and creative problem-solving approach
• PA Real Estate License is a strong plus
Salary is commensurate with experience. Interested applicants should respond with a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Organizations are equal opportunity employers. No solicitation, please.
Hill CDC is an EOE