The Senior Project Manager is responsible for managing all phases of housing development from financial feasibility, land use, regulatory planning and entitlements through construction. This leadership position is responsible for overseeing the development of high-quality, affordable and sustainable homes. Projects include single-family and multifamily new construction, refinance and rehabilitation, and joint ventures with other developers and organizations from the public and private sector. The Senior Project Manager also provides leadership in environmental sustainability and develops and advances the corporation’s Green Building strategy.
This position is characterized by a high degree of initiative and creativity, responsibility, accountability and ability to work congenially with a wide variety of individuals, other community based organizations and governmental entities. The Senior Project Manager is expected to be self-motivated and possess excellent relationship and project management skills, and strong business acumen skills to lead a department to identify new development opportunities and successfully complete various types of housing construction projects.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Project Manager is responsible for all aspects of development, including evaluating property purchases or development proposals, identifying areas suitable for affordable housing development, determining project feasibility, performing due diligence, assembling the necessary financing using a variety of public and private sources and managing design and construction teams for all projects. Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Evaluates project feasibility, programming, and financing structure, and works with senior leadership to acquire development sites;
- Assists in identifying appropriate funding and subsidy sources for each development project. Coordinates preparation of project proposals to local, state, and federal agencies. This includes assisting in preparing responses to Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Requests for Qualifications (RFQs), and assisting with completing and submitting funding grant and loan applications;
- Prepares original budgets and cash flows for all phases of projects and coordinate with accounting department on any necessary future revisions to those budgets and cash flows. Prepares proformas, budget revisions, and draw requests. Works closely with CFO on developing operating budgets to ensure that contract amounts and sources of funds are sufficient to complete projects and meet compliance requirements;
- Oversees third party consultants (i.e. architects and engineers) to design projects, from schematic design through construction documents and construction administration. Guide projects through entitlement phase, including preparation of applications;
- Performs all tasks necessary to obtain approvals for development including submission of land use, permit application, attendance at community hearings and attending neighborhood meetings. Provide ongoing coordination between architects, contractors and other members of the project development team and ensures that purchase contracts and escrow instructions go through proper internal review. Monitor status of project appraisals and reports, and loan documents;
- Performs duties that involve technical and analytical work in project management, entitlements, economic development, land use planning, property management, relocation, affordable housing and Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) financing;
- Manages and administers all the organization’s redevelopment contracts while working collaboratively with other department staff and with local governments, public housing agencies, community organizations, and private developers;
- Develops and supervises all activities relating to the acquisition, rehabilitation and resale of existing properties under the organization’s neighborhood stabilization programs;
- Assists CEO develop and maintain strong working relationships with government agencies, community groups and other development partners to expand the corporation’s affordable housing development capacity;
- Drafts department and program related policies and procedures and provides oversight in the implementation of work plans to ensure organizational goals are achieved;
- Maintains awareness of local zoning, building and tax laws and growth possibilities of the area where a property is located and prevailing wage and Davis-Bacon labor compliance;
- Completes and submits all program related reports and ensures the organization adheres to all compliance requests;
- Manages the relocation documentation as required by and in accordance with the Uniform Relocation Act;
- Works with other departments to implement project community engagement strategies when necessary and applicable;
- Collaborates with other departments in planning community events and media relations for real estate development activities as necessary;
- Effectively and successfully executes department related strategic priorities and goals;
- Works evenings and weekends as necessary to attend meetings and complete projects;
- Supervises all housing development staff and performs all types of administrative tasks associated with development of affordable homes;
- Performs all other assignments/tasks that are assigned which are not covered in this job description and which the individual could reasonably be expected to perform.
- The Senior Project Manager must have five or more years of experience with managing all phases of housing development from financial feasibility, land use, regulatory planning and entitlements through construction. Demonstrated experience working with public agencies on affordable housing projects utilizing specialized financing programs such as HOME , AHP, CDBG, CHDO and various other Federal programs.
- Experience in managing and planning, including the completion of at three affordable housing development projects with at least 3 years in a management role.
- Supervisory experience is required for this position.
- Must have proven ability to manage multiple real estate development projects simultaneously, to lead teams of internal staff and external consultants, to oversee large, complex projects and to effectively problem solve variety of issues that may occur during the real estate development processes.
This position requires a strong leader who can effectively collaborate to accomplish the mission of providing access to quality, safe and affordable housing. A creative person who possesses a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning, Real Estate Finance, Public Administration, Social Services, or related field. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
In addition to the above, the following further describes the knowledge, skill, experience and attributes the ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- Strong and deep understanding of neighborhood based revitalization strategies and community development;
- Must be able to manage multiple projects in various stages of development and possess the flexibility to adapt to shifting priorities while meeting deadlines;
- This position is expected to work some evenings and weekends. It also requires extensive travel throughout the Inland Empire;
- Skill in the assessment of affordable housing needs and financing programs;
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills;
- Advanced financial analysis skills;
- Excellent business and contract management skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
To apply please email resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Attn: Sam Lee
Neighborhood Partnership Housing Services
9551 Pittsburgh Avenue
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
NPHS is an equal opportunity employer.