Summary: The Senior Accountant’s primary responsibilities include working under only general supervision, performing relatively complex accounting duties including maintenance and analysis of accounting records, preparation of accounting schedules, reports, and financial statements, preparing journal entries and reconciling ledger accounts, compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and organization policies, procedures, and contracts. May prepare federal, state, and local tax returns.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities: The following reflects Burbank Housing’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Reconcile general ledger, sub ledger, external ledger accounts.
- Prepare and publish monthly financials.
- Review monthly financials for anomalies, investigate causes, & recommend journals.
- Prepare and post complex journals and uploads into accounting system (YARDI).
- Quarterback, with minimum supervision, complex accounting transactions that support financial statement preparation, audit and tax support, and government compliance.
- Understand, analyze, reverse engineer, and execute complex transactions across numerous variegated entities that include limited partnerships, general partners, and LLCs.
- Interact with auditors and compliance officials and complete related schedules.
- Review and code check requests for numerous companies and cash accounts.
- Assist and execute impromptu requests for assistance from Sales & Accounting.
- Approve invoices for payment.
- Process disbursements.
- Bank reconciliations.
- Support for numerous audits, tax returns, and compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prepares annual audit schedules and work with external auditors to complete audit and tax return and ensures all are filed within time-line of partnership and other agreements.
- Reviews and understands audits and footnotes prepared by external auditors. Monitors adherence to audit requirements and ensures full compliance in accordance with regulatory agencies.
- Ensures all inter-entity transactions are in balance. Analyze and clear variances prior to financial reporting close.
- Prepares complex account reconciliation and journal entries and performs on-going analytical review in support of the monthly close process. Prepares monthly analysis of account variances.
- Proactively researches and documents conclusions on accounting issues with appropriate understanding of relevant GAAP pronouncements.
- Ensures surplus distributions are correctly calculated and appropriately distributed.
- Knowledge of the Affordable Housing field. Two years’ experience working in Affordable Housing/LIHTC, or the equivalent.
- Commitment & enthusiasm towards achieving Burbank Housing’s Mission and Vision Statements. Positive attitude.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with a diverse group of people. Flexibility.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Time management skills and ability to multi-task.
- Very good feeling for materiality and the relative significance of items.
- Ability to understand very complex business structures and transactions.
- Experience in accounting for partnerships and related party transactions.
Qualifications Requirements: The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made (except experience levels) to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Education and/or Experience: A 4 year college degree in Accounting or the equivalent. Or, very good understanding of the full accounting cycle. In addition, at least 2 years 3 years work experience in bookkeeping or accounting. A combination of work and education experience may be acceptable. This job is more for an accounting mechanic than for a high concept finance person.
Language Skills: Ability to read, interpret, and analyze accounting records. Ability to write business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups and individuals.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Abilities: Ability to interpret and analyze accounting reports, i.e. general ledger, account detail, and trial balance. Ability to think conceptually with the accounting cycle, and understand the ultimate effect of accounting transactions. Ability to collect data establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License, a good driving record, and automobile insurance per requirements of the State of California.
- Working knowledge of computer software and systems: Windows XP, Excel, Word, Outlook, web browsers.
- Experience using Yardi strongly preferred.
- Advanced Excel skills a big plus!
- Sound judgment, tact, and excellent communication skills are paramount for success in this position.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to walk; sit; use hands to handle objects/operate keyboards, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop; kneel and crouch; talk and hear.
Work Environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.